Estimating Installation Time for Recon Walls
If you are a contractor quoting your first Recon project, here are some guidelines for estimating the labor and installation time. The guidelines are based on the following assumptions:
- Installing a Recon Gravity Wall
- Involves a reasonably straight wall (no corners, bends, tight radii, building connections)
- Utilizing a 2-3 man crew (1 excavator operator, 1 skid steer operator, 1 ground laborer to set blocks)
- Is machine set using skid steer with lifting loop and excavator with steel cable and hook
- Preliminary excavation already completed down to subgrade
- Recon blocks staged within 50 feet (15m) of the wall and ready for installation
- Leveling Pad and Base Course Installation Time: 80-100 sf/man/day (8-10 sm/man/day).
- Middle/Top Course Installation Time: 150-225 sf/man/day (15-23 sm/man/day).
Installation rates vary based on the experience of the crew.
Typically, a skidsteer is used to ferry blocks to an excavator stationed at the wall. The excavator is used to set the blocks. A ground laborer guides the block down, checks for level and makes adjustments.
Other factors to consider that may impact installation rates:
- Cutting blocks in the field (10-15 minutes per block).
- Number of minutes to prepare a base course step-up (15-20 minutes).
- Number of minutes to place/compact backfill material behind the wall.